This is an extremely rare Fender Custom Shop Stevie Ray Vaughn Prototype #5 Stratocaster made in 1991 which pre-dates the 1992 release of the signature model SRV Strat made in the standard production Fender USA factory.
This SRV prototype guitar shares a sequential serial number with the SRV Stratocaster prototype featured in the YouTube video from Norm’s Rare Guitars (video link is provided). There is not a lot of information available about these early Fender custom shop prototypes, however there is said to have been anywhere from 4-6 prototypes made by Fender’s custom shop which all feature a 1988 serial number that follows the sequence of SE801010 (“#1”), SE801011 (the guitar that was featured in Norm’s YouTube video thought to be #2), and this one being SE801014 (which would make this prototype #5)
This SRV prototype shares a lot of the key identifying features as outlined in the YouTube video provided by Norm’s rare guitars. Both guitars have the hand-written neck date of December 5th, 1991, pot codes of 1991, shielding paint in the pickup and control cavities (which was only done by the custom shop), A. Chavez neck stamp, a custom shop stamp on the back of the neck along with H. Gastelum stamp and a Herb Gastelum’s signature in pencil over the neck stamp. The body stamp of 404 in the neck pickup cavity, and the yellow custom shop sticker in-between the middle and neck pickups, and of course the sequential serial numbers that are 3 units apart.
This is a truly rare and remarkable find. We’ve done our best to document all of the elements described in the photos above. While this guitar was played a bit and shows signs of player wear as well as some considerable dings and finish chips (all documented above), it is still extremely valuable as a result of it’s origins.
An amazing Stratocaster for any player or collector.
Collector Bullet Point Overview:
- Model: 1991 Fender Custom Shop Stevie Ray Vaughn Stratocaster Prototype #5 – EXTREMELY RARE
- Wood body stamp of 404 in the neck pickup cavity as well as the shielding paint in the pickup and control cavities indicating custom shop prototype build
- Pot codes are stamped 1379127 denoting the CTS Co. dated the 27th week of 1991
- Yellow CS sticker between the neck and middle pickups
- Custom Shop Logo Red stamped at the butt end of the neck
- Fender Master Neck Builder Herb Gastelum’s name is stamped at the butt and his personal signature is signed in pencil.
- Pencil date of DEC 5, 1991 on neck heel.
- The Fender Stratocaster decal is above the finish while the Stevie Ray Vaughn signature decal and serial number is underneath the finish on the peghead.
- Pau Ferro Fingerboard – the later models went to Rosewood
- Make: Fender
- Model: Stratocaster
- Sub-Model: Prototype #5 Stevie Ray Vaughn Signature Strat
- Year: 1991
- Finish: 3 Tone Sunburst
- Finish Type: Nitrocellulose
- Country: USA
- Serial #:
- Condition: Very Good
- Weight: 8 lbs 5.4 oz
- Body Shape: Stratocaster
- Body Type: Solid
- Body Wood: Alder
- Scale Length: 25.5″
- Neck Joint: Bolt-on
- Neck Wood: Maple
- Neck Finish: Gloss Nitrocellulose
- Finger Board: Pau Ferro
- Neck Radius: 9.5″
- Neck Profile: Thick Oval C / SRV Profile
- Inlays: White Dot
- Nut Width: 1 11/16″
- Nut: Synthetic Bone
- Frets: 21 Jumbo
- Pickup Config: SSS
- Neck Pickup: Fender Texas Special Single Coil
- Middle Pickup: Fender Texas Special Single Coil
- Bridge Pickup: Fender Texas Special Single Coil
- Pickguard: 3 Ply B/W/B with SRV Engraved on lower side
- Pots: 1-Volume, 2-Tone
- Switch: 5-Way Blade Switch
- Hardware: Gold
- Tuning Machines: Fender Vintage Style 6 in Line with Oval Heads
- Bridge: Left Handed Fender Vintage-Style Standard Synchronized Tremolo
- Knobs: White Top Hat
- String Gauge: 9-42
- Case: Original Hard Shell Case
The body has some heavy finish wear and checking through the paint around the edges especially towards the upper contoured edge, as well as around the strap buttons, and near the input jack (see photos). There are also light surface scratches, and some dings, dents and scratches throughout the body.
- Overall Condition: ✯✯✯✯ ·
- Body Back: ✯✯✯✯ ·
- Body Front: ✯✯✯✯ ·
- Fretboard: ✯✯✯✯✯
- Fret Life: ✯✯✯✯✯
- Neck Pocket: ✯✯✯✯✯
- Headstock Front: ✯✯✯✯✯
- Headstock Back: ✯✯✯✯✯
- Pickups: ✯✯✯✯✯
- Bridge: ✯✯✯✯✯
- Knobs: ✯✯✯✯✯
- Hardware: ✯✯✯✯☆