Fender Vintage 1964 Band Master “Blackface” Modified to 100 Watt with Piggy Back 2 x 12″ Cab – RARE
This is a rare and clean example of the “Blackface” Fender Bandmaster. Despite it’s age it’s in quite good condition as detailed in the photos above. The unique thing about this particular head is that it is not the traditional 40 watt version of these amps that were manufactured from 1964 through 1967 before the “Silverface” era began. A professional upgrade has been made and this amp is now loaded with 4 6L6 JJ’s in it’s power stage offering a clean 100 watts of pure clarity and headroom.
The amp sounds fantastic, all the depth and character you’d expect from a Blackface Era Band Master. The cab is completely stock (more details below) and also sounds magnificent. The amp handles pedals remarkably well. It’s just gorgeous top to bottom whether you’re plugged straight in or running through several pedals to create various drives, delays or modulations.
The head and piggy back cab are sold as a set. We apologize but we will not sell them as separate components.
We do NOT have the vintage footswitch for the vibrato on/off feature. It will need to be purchased separately should you want one.
The amp’s serial number is A 03209 – Stamped at the right rear upper corner of the chassis and pictured above. Using this serial number we were able to date the amp as a 1964.
The 12″ Speakers in the enclosure appear to be “Fender Blue Label” era based on the look of the magnets and the center spot which the label would surround. They have the “Swiss Cheese” frame further indicating that they are of that era. The cones however appear to be a vintage 60’s era JBL as they have the large aluminum center dome. As the drivers do not appear to be the JBL style of that era it’s a bit of a mystery. Fender like Marshall was very prone to “using what we’ve got on hand” in the 1960’s, so subtle variances may occur build to build. All indicators point to these being vintage speakers and more than likely the speakers the cab shipped with. Sadly as the labels are missing (see photos above) it’s very difficult to truly date or verify them beyond the tell tale clues we’ve listed above.
- Manufacture: Fender
- Model: Band Master
- Controls: Per Channel Listed Below::
- “Normal” High and Low Gain Inputs, Bright Switch, Volume, Treble, Bass
- “Vibrato” High and Low Gain Inputs, Bright Switch, Volume, Treble, Bass, Speed, Intensity
- Switch: Standby / Power / Ground lift
- Channels: 2 – Individual
- Inputs: High and Low Gain inputs for each channel
- Outputs: Speaker and External Speaker
- FX: Vibrato
- Effect Loop: N/A
- Foot Switchable Vibrato on and off ( FOOT SWITCH IS NOT INCLUDED WITH THE AMP)
- Wattage: 100 Watt
- Preamp Tubes: 3 x ECC83 / 12AX7
- Phase Inverter Tube: 1 x 12AT7/ ECC81
- Power Amp Tubes: 4 x JJ 6L6GC
- Rectifier: Solid State
- Speakers: 2 X 12″ “Blue Label” Fender Speakers with “Swiss Cheese Frame” “Aluminum Dome” (possible vintage JBL manufacture).
- Cabinet: Closed Back – 4 ohm
- Technology: Valve
- Face plate: Fender “Black Face”
- Color: Black Tolex
- Grill: Silver
- Serial: A 03209
- Country: USA