All Original Gibson Les Paul (SG) Custom 3-Pickup in Polaris White finish made in 1962. This is an absolutely incredible example of a collector’s grade vintage Gibson Les Paul Custom. This is a ‘one owner’ guitar! It belonged to a country western guitarist named Bob Foss, who took exceptionally good care of the instrument from the time of its purchase until now. The original receipt book for guitar lessons from Bob is included as well as the original leather strap, instruction manual, semi-hard case, 60’s era guitar instruction books and even some of the original owner’s hand written music. Three small raised lettering gold decals which read “Bob” were placed on the pick-guard by him. We have opted to leave this on the guitar as part of its lore, but they can be easily removed.
This guitar features a one-piece Honduran Mahogany body, a one-piece Honduran Mahogany neck, and a single-ply bound ebony fingerboard. Equipped with the Holy Grail of pickups: 3 Original non-molested Gibson PAF Humbuckers with base plate stickers well preserved and intact. The wiring is also 100% stock, featuring the original capacitors and the original pots which date to 1961, all with factory solder joints.
The 24.75” scale length neck has mother of pearl block inlays, a slim 60’s neck profile, the original nut with original lacquer, and 22 original frets with very little wear as this guitar spent it’s entire life with flat-wound strings on it. You could not ask for a better case scenario beyond perhaps a guitar that was left in its case its entire life.
The gold plated hardware is in relatively excellent condition for its age with a minimal amount of pitting. The patent pending gold Grover Rotomatic tuning machines are in great shape and function as they should. The ABR-1 “No Wire” bridge is in fantastic shape along with the gold-plated sideways deluxe vibrato. The plastic parts are all original and in fantastic condition. This includes the bonnet flared knobs with gold reflectors, pickup rings, white switch top and 3-ply pickguard.
This guitar is in fantastic shape for its age! The preservation of the frets due to the use of only flat-wound strings is a massive contributing factor. A large majority of these 3-pickups Les Paul Customs from this time period have had the wiring altered due to the factory out of phase middle position, but this example has not been altered in any way. These late PAF’s have Alnico 5 magnets and have output readings of 7.99K Bridge, 7.70K Middle, and 7.33 Neck.
Cosmetically there are some surface scratches on the guitar and finish checking is visible throughout the body. There is some paint checking along the seams of the neck binding and nut which we have taken great care in verifying to be in the finish and purely cosmetic. We see this same finish flaw and checking along the neck binding on most newer white Gibson SG 62 reissues regularly and is very common.
Freshly re-strung with 10-46 gauge strings and setup in standard tuning this guitar plays absolutely fantastic with very low action. The PAF’s sound incredible and the finish, hardware and all original components are well preserved. This particular guitar has such a great back story and history. All of the afore mentioned materials are included in the original factory Gibson case. Included additionally for the guitar’s safety is a brand new Gator hardshell case with pink Gibson style interior.
* Make: Gibson
* Model: Les Paul Custom (SG Body)
* Year: 1962
* Finish: Polaris White
* Country of Origin: USA
* Serial #48726
* Condition: Excellent
* Weight: 7lbs 7.1oz.
* Body Type: Solid
* Body Wood: One-Piece Honduran Mahogany Body
* Scale Length: 24.75”
* Neck Joint: Hide Glue Set-Neck
* Neck Wood: One-Piece Honduran Mahogany
* Fingerboard: Single-Bound Ebony Fingerboard
* Fingerboard Radius: 12”
* Neck Profile: Slim 60’s
* Inlays: Mother of Pearl Block Inlays
* Headstock: 5-Ply Binding, Split Diamond Inlay
* Truss Rod Cover:”Les Paul Custom” Engraved on Black on White Truss Rod Cover
* Nut: Original Nut With Original Lacquer
* Nut Width: 1.68”
* Frets: 22 Original Frets With Life Left
* Pickups: 3 Original Un-molested PAF Pickups W/PAF Stickers
* Controls: 2 Volume & 2 Tone
* Switch: 3-Way Switchcraft With White Switch Tip
* Hardware: Gold
* Tuning Machines: Patent Pending Grover Rotomatic Tuners
* Bridge: Gold Non-Wire ABR-1
* Tailpiece: Gold-Plated Side-Pull Deluxe Vibrato
* Pick-guard: 3-Ply White/Black/White ’61 Pickguard
* Knobs: Bonnet Flared Knobs With Gold “Volume” and “Tone” Labels
* String Gauge: 10-46
* Case: Original Brown Archraft Semi-hard Case Missing Handle
* Extras: Original Leather Strap, Receipt, and Instruction Manual