Just in at Diablo Guitars is this absolutely stunning Made to Measure Music Zoo Exclusive Gibson 60th Anniversary 1959 Les Paul Standard.
1959 is easily the year for some of the most coveted guitars Gibson ever made, crossing into the realm of legend. The 2019 Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul was introduced at Winter NAMM 2019 and immediately turned heads. This particular guitar was built to Music Zoo’s specs; the result being this amazing Made to Measure Les Paul Standard. Starting with “Carmelita” Collectors Choice #37 neck profile that gives you that 59 feel with a slightly slimmer shoulder, it’s topped with a gorgeous Indian Rosewood fingerboard. The fretboard is set with Gibson Medium Jumbo frets making this guitar a real player.
It’s top and burst again painstakingly modeled after page 90 from the Beauty of the Burst. The pickups have skipped the aged covers the 60th Anniversary Series came with opting for a double black bobbin and cream/black bobbin on it’s Custombucker Alnico III Pickups. . Let’s hear what Gibson and Guitar.com have to say…
It’s Gibson Custom category product specialist Mat Koehler’s job to sweat the small stuff and he considers the use of hide glue for the top-to-back, fingerboard-to-neck and neck-to-body joins to be “a big part of the recipe” of the new 60th Anniversary guitar. “It was developed in 2014 for the True Historic models,” says Mat. “It really does make the guitars more acoustically resonant and measurably louder, on top of being historically accurate.
“A louder and more resonant solid body guitar produces better tone,” he insists. “People talk about the clarity of original PAF humbuckers and forget that a lot of that is the sound of the instruments themselves. The pickups capture the essence of the instrument as much as the design affects the tone shape.”
This ties in with the philosophy that an electric guitar should be thought of holistically, as a system in which the component parts working in harmony is the key to a great-sounding instrument. Rather than a straightforward process of replication, Mat reveals that finding the missing pieces of the puzzle involved “lots of time spent analyzing 1950s Gibsons under the hood and lots of time spent A/B-ing various potentiometer brands and tapers and values against the original 1950s Centralabs. Hearing the differences in alnico II, III, IV and V magnets in our True Historic humbuckers and establishing consensus on a winner. Choosing to celebrate the sound of unpotted humbuckers and that squeak and squeal we’re used to hearing out of vintage Les Pauls.
“It’s weird science,” he admits, “but we learned that attempting to replicate the 1950s processes and materials wouldn’t always provide the result we were looking for. The composition and quality of those materials translate differently to what’s available today. So we really had to use our ears, and we brought in artists and collectors and experts to make sure we weren’t crazy.”
…The attention to detail is simply incredible, review the specs below and you’ll see what we mean.
Our Made to Measure 1959 Les Paul Standard 60th Anniversary comes to us in excellent condition. It includes it’s COA, all original vintage style hang tags and case candy. The guitar ships in it’s original Gibson Lifton Reissue 5 latch hard shell case.
- Manufacturer: Gibson
- Model: 1959 Les Paul Standard 60th Anniversary Model – Made to Measure Music Zoo Exclusive
- Country of Origin: United States
- Weight: 8 lbs 14oz
- Serial Number: #992928
- Top Material: 2-Piece Flame Maple, Hide Glue Fit
- Binding Style: 1-Ply Royalite
- Weight Relief: None
- Finish: Nitrocellulose “very subtle” VOS Treatment – Page 90 Beauty of the Burst Finish
- Neck Material: Solid Mahogany
- Neck Profile: 1959 Profile – neck carve taken from the Collector’s Choice #37 ‘Carmelita’ model
- Additional Neck Specs: – .880″ at the first fret, .980″ at the 12th fret
- Scale Length: 24.75″ / 62.865cm
- Fingerboard Material: Indian Rosewood, Hide Glue Fit
- Fingerboard Radius: 12″ / 304.8mm
- Number of Frets: 22
- Frets: Gibson Medium Jumbo
- Nut Material: Nylon
- Nut Width: 1.69″ / 42.85mm
- End-of-Board Width: 2.24″ / 56.89mm
- Inlays: Aged Cellulose Nitrate Trapezoid
- Hardware Finish: Aged Nickel
- Bridge: No-Wire ABR-1
- Tailpiece: Lightweight Aluminum Stop Bar
- Tuners: Kluson Single Line, Single Ring
- Truss Rod Cover: Authentic Stepped 2-Ply
- Control Knobs: Butyrate Gold Top Hats
- Switch Tip: Amber Catalin
- Neck Pickup: Custombucker Alnico III (Unpotted)
- Bridge Pickup: Custombucker Alnico III (Unpotted)
- Controls: CTS 500K Audio Taper Potentiometers, Paper-in-Oil “Bumble Bee” Capacitors
- Strings: .010, .013, .017, .026, .036, .046
- Case: Brown/Pink Lifton Reissue 5-Latch
- Included Accessories: Gibson Custom Switchplate Medallion (w/ Historic Black Plastic Cover in Case), Certificate of Authenticity Booklet, Historic Reissue Hang Tags