Martin Limited Edition HD-35 Nancy Wilson signature model #20 of 101 made in USA in 2006. This stunning Nancy Wilson signature model HD-35 was made in a collaboration with Martin guitars and limited to only 101 guitars made in total. The guitar features premium wood selection that includes a solid Engleman spruce top, east Indian rosewood sides, rosewood wings with a beautiful solid Bubinga wedge back, mahogany neck and ebony fingerboard. The top has forward shifted bracing, herringbone binding and abalone soundhole rosette. Nancy’s signature is inlayed in the last fret as well as a heart with wings in tribute to her band “Heart” on the 12th fret and a Pisces fish Ying Yang design in abalone on the headstock. Nancy personally signed the interior label along with C.F Martin IV and this particular guitar is numbered 20 out of 100.
This is the overview from Martin Guitars initial release of this limited edition model: “Much of the credit for the beauty and tone of the Martin HD-35 Nancy Wilson Signature Edition guitar goes to Wilson herself, who collaborated closely with Martin on the appointments and tonewoods. A Pisces fish Yin Yang design inlaid in rare pink “Heart” abalone, mother of pearl and red composite nestles beneath the Old Style “C. F. Martin” decal on the polished black ebony headplate. A winged heart insignia, derived from Nancy’s signature, is inlaid in red composite and mother of pearl at the 12th fret and honors her band connection; small abalone dot markers at the other positions lead to Nancy Wilson’s signature in mother of pearl between the 19th and 20th frets. The colorful headstock inlay is reinforced in the Style 45 rosette, which also features pink heart abalone.
A rare combination of premium solid tonewoods gives the HD-35 Nancy Wilson Signature Edition distinctive tonal character. The top of beautiful Engelmann spruce”a tree that grows in the Northwest, where Heart got its start”combines with 1/4″ forward-shifted scalloped braces for full, powerful tone. The sides and the three-piece back’s wings are East Indian rosewood, while the center wedge is red “heart” bubinga, a beautiful and unusually hard African tonewood that provides outstanding projection.
On top of the appointments already noted, the HD-35 Nancy Wilson Signature Edition upgrades several traditional HD-35 elements. Bold herringbone purfling around the top, black/white purfling around the back and black/white/black/white purfling on the sides are all protected by grained ivoroid binding. The grained ivoroid endpiece and heelcap are each bordered with black/white/black/white fine line inlays. Style HD zig-zag back strips highlight the three-piece back. The belly bridge and fingerboard are crafted from African black ebony, with the latter bound in grained ivoroid for playing comfort. The headstock, also of African ebony, sports gold Gotoh tuners with large ebony buttons. Ebony bridge pins and endpin are topped with abalone dot inlays. A polished and beveled tortoise color pickguard protects the top, which is untinted to showcase the beautiful grain and color of the Engelmann spruce. The guitar’s body is finished in polished gloss lacquer, while the neck receives a satin finish.
Delivered in a vintage-inspired Geib style case, each Martin HD-35 Nancy Wilson Signature Edition guitar bears an interior label personally signed by Nancy Wilson and Martin Chairman C. F. Martin IV, and is numbered in sequence with the total number of guitars in the edition.
This guitar is in near mint condition with only very light surface scratches, no dings, no dents or modifications. The guitar has been freshly re-strung and setup with D’Adarrio 11-52 80/20 bronze strings and a custom bone saddle cut for prefect action and playability. This guitar is absolutely beautiful, sounds incredible and plays fantastic! Comes with the original Martin hardshell case, hang tag and Martin Owners manual.
* CONSTRUCTION: Mahogany Blocks/Dovetail Neck Joint
* BODY SIZE: D-14 Fret
* TOP: Solid Engelmann Spruce
* ROSETTE: Style 45
* TOP BRACING PATTERN: D-OMLE Forward Shifted
* TOP BRACES: Scalloped 1/4”
* BACK MATERIAL: Solid East Indian Rosewood Wings w/ Solid Bubinga Wedge
* BACK PURFLING: HD Zig Zag
* SIDE MATERIAL: Solid East Indian Rosewood
* ENDPIECE: Grained Ivoroid
* ENDPIECE INLAY: Black/White Boltaron
* BINDING: Grained Ivoroid
* TOP INLAY STYLE: Bold Herringbone
* SIDE INLAY: Multiple Black/White Boltaron
* BACK INLAY: Black/White Boltaron
* NECK MATERIAL: Select Hardwood
* NECK SHAPE: Low Profile
* NUT MATERIAL: Bone
* HEADSTOCK: Solid/6 String No Diamond/Square Taper
* HEADPLATE: Solid Black Ebony /Special Inlay /Large Old Style (Less Est. 1833)
* HEELCAP: Grained Ivoroid with Multiple Black/White Boltaron
* FINGERBOARD MATERIAL: Solid Black Ebony
* SCALE LENGTH:25.4
* # OF FRETS CLEAR:14
* # OF FRETS TOTAL: 20
* FINGERBOARD WIDTH AT NUT: 1 11/16”
* FINGERBOARD WIDTH AT 12TH FRET:2 1/8”
* FINGERBOARD POSITION INLAYS: Single 1/8” Abalone Dots @ 5th, 7th, 9th & 15th Frets, Heart Insignia
* FINGERBOARD BINDING: Grained Ivoroid
* FINISH BACK & SIDES: Polished Gloss
* FINISH TOP: Polished Gloss
* FINISH NECK: Satin/ Polished Headplate
* BRIDGE MATERIAL: Solid Black Ebony
* BRIDGE STYLE: Standard Belly
* BRIDGE STRING SPACING: 2 1/8”
* SADDLE: 16” Radius/Compensated/Bone
* TUNING MACHINES: Gotoh Gold w/ Large Ebony Knobs
* RECOMMENDED STRINGS: Martin SP 4200 Medium Phosphor Bronze
* BRIDGE & END PINS: Ebony w/ Abalone Pearl Dots
* PICKGUARD: Tortoise Color Beveled and Polished
* CASE: 545
* INTERIOR LABEL: Signed by CFM IV & Nancy Wilson